Mrs. O'Boyle's Bookshelf

Mrs. O'Boyle's Bookshelf

Corporate High School
Gilded
East
Chronicle of a Death Foretold
The Complete Plays of Sophocles: Ajax; Antigone; Oedipus the King (Oedipus Rex); Oedipus at Colonus; Trachinian Women; Philoctetes; Electra
Hamlet
Winter Run
The Penderwicks on Gardam Street
The Penderwicks at Point Mouette
The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy
The Penderwicks in Spring
Nanny McPhee: Based on the Collected Tales of Nurse Matilda
A Bear Called Paddington


Laurel O'Boyle's favorite books »

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Recommendations

This school year I have become so much more vocal about books and reading. I love talking about books and hearing about books all of you have been reading. I hope you have heard me talk about books I have struggled with reading as well as books I have really enjoyed. I have tried to be honest with you about all of them, and I have been motivated to read more. Talking with all of you about books has motivated me to read MORE. During previous school years, I have been guilty of not reading very many choice books.

The great thing about the last few months, though, is that some of you are starting to talk back! I had one student recommendation for Song of the Sparrow, I wasn't really excited about it at first, but it was based off of an Arthurian poem, so it couldn't be too bad. I enjoyed reading that book. It had been a long time since I had a book stir my emotions so much.

After finishing that I had to find another book to read, I picked one from a favorite author, read it for a few days and it is currently abandoned. I'm nervous about it. It's a little too intense for my typical tastes. One of my seniors has picked it up, and said it's pretty interesting and pretty accurate so far. I'll let him tell me if my fears are correct when he gets to the end of the book.

A few days ago I had one student ask me if I have read any good books lately. I was in the middle of a book, but it was just OK for me. I in turn asked him if he had any recommendations for me. He didn't but said that he would let me know when he does have a suggestion.

I love getting recommendations from all around me. I love being able to talk about these books with my students.

I guess I'm just asking you to "Tell me more, tell me more" I can't wait to read what you recommend. With just a few weeks left, this has been a great year for reading.

No comments: